GTFS Schedule Changes¶
The GTFS Specification is not set in stone. Instead, it is an open specification developed and maintained by the community of transit agencies, developers, and other stakeholders who use GTFS. It is expected that this community of producers and consumers of GTFS data will have proposals for extending the spec to enable new capabilities.
To contribute to GTFS, read the Specification Amendment Process and follow the discussions in the open issues and pull requests on Google's Transit Github repository (google/transit).
The official specification, reference and documentation are written in English. If a translation to a different language differs from the English original, the latter takes precedence. All communication is performed in English.
Active Proposals ¶
Join the discussions on Github !
Recently Merged Proposals ¶
Recently merged proposals that are now features of the official GTFS Schedule specification. See the complete Revision History for more.
Add fare media
#355 by isabelle-dr was merged on Mar 14, 2023
- Fare Media is a key element on the GTFS Fares-v2 extension proposal
- It represents what a rider can use to validate their ride (e.g. a transit card, mobile app, or tap-to-pay using a contactless bank card)
- A fare product can be associated to a specific Fare Media (e.g. a monthly pass is only available on a transit card)
- The price of a fare product can be defined based on the Fare Media (e.g. the ticket is cheaper if bought via a mobile app)
Add trip-to-trip transfers with in-seat option
#303 by gcamp was merged on Jun 26, 2022
- Adds new
transfer_type`s for trip to trip transfers to define if a user can do an "in seat transfer" when the same vehicle is operating two consecutive trips and the user can stay onboard
- Can define when in-seat transfers aren't allowed but can link together two different trips operationally
GTFS-Fares v2 base implementation
#286 by scmcca was merged on May 17, 2022
- Transit fares and tickets
- Cost modelling for complex fares and transfers (multi-network, time-based, and count-based transfers)
- Model to associate stops to fare areas
Trip-to-trip and route-to-route transfers
#284 by scmcca was merged on Oct 5, 2021
- Specify rules for transfers between stop, trip or route pairs in transfers.txt
- Ranked specificity of transfer rules based on different pair arrangements
#208 by timMillet was merged on May 13, 2020
- Allows rider pickup or dropoff anywhere along a vehicle’s travel path
#180 by LeoFrachet was merged on Jan 9, 2020
- Translations for text fields, localized URLs, and contact information