September 15, 2021
- Allowed fare gates (pathway_mode=6) to be bidirectional. See discussion.
September 13, 2021
stop_namebest practices. See discussion.
August 27, 2021
January 4, 2021
- Clarified description of
stop_times.stop_id. See discussion.
- Defined positive and non-zero field signs. See discussion.
October 2, 2020
- Changed field type of
frequencies.headway_secsfrom non-negative to positive integer. See discussion.
May 25, 2020
attributions.txtas translatable tables. Added recommendations for translating multilingual
signposted_asvalues. See discussion.
May 13, 2020
shape_idfrom "Optional" to "Conditionally required". See discussion.
March 24, 2020
- Defined text-to-speech field and added
stops.txt. See discussion.
February 5, 2020
- Added trolleybus and monorail
route_types. See discussion.
January 9, 2020
translations.txt. See discussion.
December 26, 2019
- Updated definitions for cable tram and aerial lift in
route_type. See discussion.
December 20, 2019
attributions.txt. See discussion.
August 26, 2019
- Specified that
stop_lonbe positioned where passengers wait to board the vehicle. See discussion.
July 9, 2019
- Added arrival and departure time best practices. See discussion.
- Added headsign best practices. See discussion.
stop_idbest practices. See discussion.
June 25, 2019
- Clarified relationship of shape points and stops. See discussion.
April 4, 2019
stops.txt. See discussion.
March 27, 2019
levels.txt. See discussion.
February 6, 2019
- Editorial and formatting changes for clarity. See discussion.
October 2, 2018
- Factorized field types. See discussion.
September 14, 2018
- Added "Conditionally required" concept. See discussion.
September 4, 2018
- Unified the definitions of
feed_lang. See discussion.
August 27, 2018
CHANGES.mdand last revised date. See discussion.
August 22, 2018
feed_contact_urlfields in the
feed_info.txtfile. See discussion.
December 11, 2017
routes.txt. See discussion.
March 15, 2017
- Clarified that a proposer's vote does not count towards total. See discussion.
- Specified that at before calling a vote, at least one GTFS producer and one GTFS consumer should implement the proposed change. See discussion.
February 7, 2017
- Clarified relationship of
service_id. See discussion.
- Clarified that frequency-based service begins at vehicle departure. See discussion.
- Clarified descriptions of
stop_code. See discussion.
December 11, 2017
route_sort_orderfield in the
routes.txtfile. See discussion.
November 27, 2016
- Added station entrance as a
stops.location_type. See discussion.
September 2, 2016
- Updated documentation to add
fare_attributes.txt. See discussion.
March 16, 2016
- Transition of GTFS documentation to Github at https://github.com/google/transit
February 3, 2016
agency.txtproposal to spec: discussion
February 2, 2015
- Added stop_times.txt 'timepoint' proposal to spec: discussion
February 17, 2014
- Added trips.txt 'bikes_allowed' proposal to spec: discussion
October 15, 2012
Added trips.txt 'wheelchair_accessible' proposal to spec: discussion
June 20, 2012
- Added 'wheelchair_boarding' proposal to spec: discussion
February 2, 2012
- Added 'stop_timezone' proposal to spec: discussion
January 18, 2012
- Migrated documentation from old code.google.com to their new location at developers.google.com.
September 26, 2011
- Added 'feed_info' proposal to spec: discussion
September 6, 2011
- Added 'agency_fare_url' proposal to spec: discussion
- Added 'exact_times' proposal to spec: discussion
March 30, 2009
- A new section on making a transit feed publicly available. This wasn't previously discussed on the group, because it wasn't strictly a change to how the data is interpreted or written. However, some of the folks at Google thought that it would be informative to include discussion of non-Google uses of GTFS, since there are an increasing number of applications that can make use of GTFS-formatted data.
- CSV format clarifications: discussion.
- Additional guidance on how to pick contrasting colors in the descriptions of the route_color and route_text_color fields.
- trip_short_name, as proposed and tested in these threads: a and b.
- A fix for a minor error in the sample data included at the end of the document (giving stop S7 the parent_station S8).
- Added "agency_lang" information to the sample data at the end of the document, as suggested by Marcy during the comment period: discussion.
- Updated the link to OCTA's GTFS feed in the sidebar
- See original summary.
February 26, 2009
- Removed most of the Google-specific feed submission instructions, since there are many other applications that consume GTFS data at this point.
- Fixed a broken link in the sidebar to Orange County OCTA's public feed.
August 7, 2008
- Restored the stop_url field, which was accidentally omitted in the August 6 version
- Added agency_phone to sample data
- Added a mention of the data use agreement when submitting a feed to Google
August 6, 2008
- Added transfers.txt file, allowing the feed publishers to provide hints on preferred transfer behavior (original proposal)
- Added location_type and parent_station fields to stops.txt, allowing stop points to be grouped into stations (original proposal)
- Added agency_phone field for providing voice telephone number for an agency (original proposal)
- Added "Testing Your Feeds" section mentioning open-source testing tools
- Added clarifications about CSV format, agency_timezone, agency_lang, route_color, route_text_color, arrival_time, departure_time, calendar.txt vs. calendar_dates.txt, fare tables, and frequencies.txt
- Added link to feed history document, and corrected some public feed links
- Updated example images to depict the current Google Maps UI
- Updated/fixed sample data in document
February 29, 2008
- Added the stop_code field in stops.txt to allow for the specification of rider-facing stop codes (original proposal)
- Clarified the descriptions of route_short_name and route_long_name in routes.txt
- Clarified the descriptions of arrival_time and departure_time in stop_times.txt
- Fixed typos in the Sample Data section
November 20, 2007
- Clarified block_id description
- Changed language to de-emphasize Google Transit (since non-Google applications are using GTFS, and transit routing is now an integrated feature of Google Maps), and to fix assorted typos
- Updated example screenshots to reflect the presentation of GTFS fields in the current Google Maps UI
- Updated the Google contact email address for transit data providers
- Updated formatting
October 5, 2007
- Changed stop_sequence and shape_pt_sequence to allow for any increasing non-negative integers
- Clarified descriptions and fixed typos
May 31, 2007
- Updated page style, made HTML cleaner and more accessible
- Added links to public feed examples and other useful sites
- Removed examples from individual field descriptions
April 9, 2007
- Added section on submitting a feed.
- Added the Example Demo Transit Agency feed.
- Added note that calendar.txt can be omitted if all the service dates are defined in calendar_dates.txt.
- Made the agency_id field optional in feeds containing only one agency. This allows existing feeds without agency_id to remain valid.
- Added fuller specification of agency_url, stop_url, and route_url, and additional example values for those fields.
- Added 6 (Gondola) and 7 (Funicular) as valid route_type values.
March 8, 2007
- Minor edit to move the stop_url field from stop_times.txt, where it was incorrectly specified in the Feb. 28 update, to stops.txt, where it belongs.
March 5, 2007
- Minor edit to clarify the description of the route_long_name field.
February 28, 2007
- Addition of frequencies.txt for headway-based schedule support.
- Multiple agencies now allowed in the the same feed. Also added new agency_id field in both agencies.txt and routes.txt that lets you specify which route is operated by which agency.
- Addition of per-route and per-stop URLs.
- Addition of direction_id field in trips.txt.
- Support for mid-trip headsign changes with addition of stop_headsign field in stop_times.txt.
- Support for route colors with addition of optional route_color and route_text_color in routes.txt.
- Removed the ability to specify stops using street addresses. The previous version of the spec allowed you to give the location of a transit stop using a street address in the stop_street, stop_city, stop_region, stop_postcode, and stop_country fields. Now stop locations must be given using stop_lat for latitude and stop_lon for longitude, which are more useful for most applications.
- Addition of cable car vehicle type for route_type field in routes.txt.
- See the original Headway blog post summary of the changes.
November 29, 2006
- Added support for trip shape information via shapes.txt
- Clarified the definition of stop_sequence
- Marked pickup_type and drop_off_type optional
October 31, 2006
- Added support for fare information
- Removed dates from individual file names
- Changed the route_type value definitions
- Allowed for multiple feed files to be posted at the same time, as long as their service periods didn't overlap
- Fixed block_id in trips.txt so that it was correctly marked Optional
- Noted that column headers must be included
September 29, 2006
- Minor edit to fix a couple errors in the examples.
September 25, 2006
- Initial version.