Apps people use when taking transit.
Web Apps (open source)¶
- Instabus - Realtime map of Austin's (CapMetro) public transit. Has no server/backend dependency at all and runs completely on GitHub pages.
- OpenTripPlanner Client GWT - A Google Web Toolkit-based web interface for OpenTripPlanner
- GTFS-realtime Alerts Producer Web Application - A Java-based web application for producing GTFS-realtime Service Alerts.
- HRT BUS Web app - HRT Bus API publishes real time bus data from Hampton Roads Transit through an application programming interface for developers to make apps from it.
- Transit-Map - Web app that animates vehicles (markers) on a map using the public transport timetables to interpolate their positions along the routes (polylines).
- Transitive.js - Creates a customizable web map layer of transit routes using Leaflet or D3.
- Google I/O Transport Tracker - Shows shuttle arrival times for Google I/O conference, based on the open-source transport-tracker project. Note: To implement this yourself, you need a Google Maps APIs Premium Plan license.
- 1-Click - A virtual “trip aggregator” that assembles information on a wide variety of available modes: public transit, private, rail, rideshare, carpool, volunteer, paratransit, and walking and biking. Open-source on GitHub.
- Bustime - Public transport real-time monitoring with WebSocket updates. Open-source on GitHub.
- Transit Tracker - Realtime vehicle position for Greater Montreal & Toronto, Canada
- GTFS Builder - A free web-based application to help you create GTFS files. Maintained by the National Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP).
- Dede - An independent and universal passenger information system (PIS) mapping realtime movement. A message feed with Vehicle Position entities in the GTFS-Realtime format or the Dede app can be used as data source.
- MBTA tile-server - Scripts to create a Docker container that encapsulates all the elements necessary to develop map tiles for use on MBTA.com
- Tiramisu Transit - An adaptive mobile transit app that shows real-time bus arrival information developed and deployed by Carnegie Mellon University. No longer maintained.
Web Apps (closed source)¶
- TransitScreen - Custom realtime displays of all local transportation choices
- Citylines.co - A collaborative platform for mapping transit systems, with an emphasis on their historical evolution.
- Bikeshare Map - Status of all worldwide bikeshare stations
- Bongo - Real-time Transit Tracking for Iowa City, Coralville and the University of Iowa. Combines three disparate transit systems into one UI.
- Brand New Subway - An interactive transportation planning game that lets players alter the NYC subway system to their heart's content.
- CityMapper Webapp - Really polished webapp with trip planner and route status for over 30 of cities.
- YourStop - Mobile friendly web app which consumes GTFS feeds and displays both live and scheduled trips for stops. Launched with MBTA, YRT/Viva and Maryland MTA.
- DC MetroHero - Realtime vehicle position and arrivals and departure information for the Washington, D.C. region's WMATA Metrorail and Metrobus systems. WebApp, Android, and iOS apps avaliable.
Native Apps (open source)¶
- OneBusAway Apps - Android (source code), Fire Phone (source code), iOS (source code), Windows Phone (source code), Windows 8 (source code), Google Glass GDK (source code), Alexa skill (source code)
- OpenTripPlanner Android - An Android app for OpenTripPlanner
- OpenTripPlanner iOS - An iOS app for OpenTripPlanner
- opentripplanner-client-library - A Kotlin Multiplatform library for making API requests and parsing responses from an OpenTripPlanner v2 server for trip plans, bike rental info, and server metadata for Android, iOS, and web.
- Transportr An Android app that uses public-transport-enabler in order to connect to many different transport networks worldwide.
- Offi Directions - An Android app that provides trip planning, schedules, live departure times, and disruption information for transport authorities in Europe and beyond.
- Trufi App - A cross-platform Flutter app that uses OpenTripPlanner
- Dede App - An app making any Android powered phone become an Automatic Vehicle Locating (AVL) device for the Dede passenger information system (PIS).
- MACS Transit Android App - A bus tracker app for Android devices for the MACS Transit system in Fairbanks, Alaska. Uses RouteMatch APIs.
- Tiramisu Transit - An adaptive mobile transit app that shows real-time bus arrival information developed and deployed by Carnegie Mellon University. Written using Ionic framework. No longer maintained.
Native Apps (closed source)¶
- TransLoc Rider - Real-time transit maps for over 100 transit systems.
- Transit Display - Multimodal and real-time transit display software.
- Ualabee - Community driven trip planner with focus on user interaction, users can report anomalies, upload pictures, edit transit data and chat with other passengers.