Places to access collections of GTFS and other transit and multimodal data
3rd party GTFS URL directories¶
- ~~GTFS Data Exchange~~ (Deprecated) - Formerly the definitive directory of GTFS feed URLs. Shutdown in 2016. But 93 GB of data from 2008 to 2016 is available upon request.
- ~~OpenMobilityData~~ (Deprecated) - List of GTFS and GTFS-RT feeds. Archives and validates the GTFS feeds and allows you to preview both GTFS and GTFS-RT through the browser. Formerly TransitFeeds.com. MobilityData announced it is end-of-life as of early 2022 with a shutdown date to be determined.
- The Mobility Database - JSON and CSV files on GitHub that is a repository of 1300+ mobility datasets across the world. Contains contents of OpenMobilityData/TransitFeeds.com.
- TransitData.io - A list of GTFS data in parts of Latin America. Must contact website maintainers directly to access feeds, as they're not publicly available.
- Transitland - Community editable list of many transit agency GTFS datasets. Also provides an API to access the data as JSON/GeoJSON and a playground to try out the data.
Transit agency data archives¶
- CapMetrics - Historical vehicle locations for Austin's transit agency (CapMetro). Data is collected by capmetricsd, a Go daemon.
National government datasets¶
- National Transit Database (USA) - Information and statistics on the transit systems of the United States, run by the Federal Transit Administration.
- transport.data.gouv (France) - Data platform for the French transport ecosystem.
- European long-distance transport operators (EU) (Unofficial) - Unofficial list of available API endpoints, GTFS feeds and client libraries
Proprietary (non-standard) vendor APIs¶
- Transport API - REST API for aggregated transit data for the United Kingdom. Fee-based access.
- TransLoc OpenAPI - REST API for real-time vehicle, route, stop, and arrival data for over 60 transit systems in the United States that have purchased TransLoc's AVL hardware and software.
- NextBus API - REST API for real-time vehicle, route, stop, and arrival data for agencies that have puchased NextBus's hardware and/or software.
- Navitia.io - REST API for journey planning, stop schedules, isochrones and lot more on US and EU. Navitia is the opensource engine behind the live API.
- CityBikes - REST API for aggregated bikeshare data from around the world. Powered by pyBikes.
- HAFAS – Propriety public transport management software by HaCon (list of endpoints)
- Citymapper API - REST API for transit journey planning, realtime transit data and walk, cycle, scooter travel times.
Crowdsourced transit data¶
- Citylines.co - A collaborative platform for mapping transit systems, with an emphasis on their historical evolution. The data can be downloaded as GeoJSON or CSV from citylines.co/data.
- OpenStreetMap (OSM) - The collaborative platform for mapping the world, including transport, transit, and routing data.
- GTFS-Hub - Community tested, probably quality/content enhanced, partially merged or filtered GTFS-feeds of (currently German) transport agencies. Maintained by MITFAHR|DE|ZENTRALE.
Sample GTFS and GTFS Realtime datasets used for software testing¶
- sample-gtfs-feed - An imaginary GTFS data set used for testing.
- transitfeed unit tests - Test data created for the original Google Python GTFS validator.
- Transitland GTFS and GTFS Realtime unit tests - For testing the transitland-lib library that handles GTFS and GTFS Realtime parsing and validation for Transitland:
- gtfs-realtime-validator unit tests - Some GTFS datasets (zip files) are included and a large number of GTFS RT messages are defined programmatically in Java via the gtfs-realtime-bindings library.
- OpenTripPlanner unit tests - Some GTFS datasets are defined for the unit tests (GtfsTest and mmri folder).